Paid On Call Firefighter
The City of Mt. Pleasant is seeking applications from high energy, team-oriented individuals who are committed to our community and interested in joining our Fire Department.
The Mt. Pleasant Fire Department is committed to the protection of life and property. We accomplish this by utilizing modern technology, education, prevention, training, and community partnerships. We strive to provide the highest level of service during all types of disasters - natural or man-made. We serve with compassion, honesty, integrity, and care for those who live, work or visit our community.
To be considered for the Paid On Call Firefighter position you must possess the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent, State of Michigan Firefighter Training Council Firefighter Levels I and II certification, Incident Command Training, Operations Level Hazardous Materials Certification, and current American Heart CPR certification, are required. A State of Michigan Medical First Responder license must be completed within 8 months of hire to remain employed. Preference will be given to those candidates with a current State of Michigan Basic Emergency Medical Technician license and possess a minimum of one year structural firefighting experience, or an equivalent combination of formal education and experience providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- The ability, desire and commitment to complete extensive firefighting training, and the flexibility to leave your place of employment for firefighting duty are necessary.
- Selected candidates must successfully pass the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) administered by the Fire Training Institute of Schoolcraft College, or within the previous twelve-month period have passed the CPAT or an equivalent physical agility test.
- Residency Requirement: Employees in the POC Fire ranks must reside within the boundaries or the perimeter roads of:
- To the North: Jordan
- To the South: Walton
- To the East: Leaton
- To the West: Nottawa
This distance is approximately a 1 square mile around the Charter Township of Union. A newly hired employee will be given 6 months to move within these boundaries. All employees must maintain their primary residency within the restrictions listed as a condition of employment for the full duration of their employment with the City of Mt. Pleasant.
- Attend required departmental training sessions.
- Job Description (PDF)
- Paid On Call Firefighter Agreement (PDF)
- City of Mt. Pleasant Culture Document (PDF)
- Schoolcraft College CPAT Testing Information
To be considered for this position, please submit ALL of the following:
- Letter of Interest;
- Completed Job Application (PDF); This is a public position, as such the City cannot guarantee confidentiality once the applicant accepts an invitation to interview. If you would like to request confidentiality during the pre-interview phase, please indicate your request on the application form.
- Completed Criminal History Background Check Authorization Form (PDF);
- Completed Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure and Authorization (PDF)
Submit these materials to:
City of Mount Pleasant
Human Resources Department
320 West Broadway Street
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
By email: **HR@mt-pleasant.org **
(**Please combine multiple documents into a single Word or PDF file before submitting, incomplete documents will not be accepted**)
The position will be open until filled.