City Management Internship
General Statement of Duties: The CITY MANAGEMENT INTERN will learn valuable work skills under the direction of the Human Resources Director and City Manager. The Intern will play a role in coordinating and facilitating City projects that require the involvement of multiple city departments. They will be given the opportunity to interact with department heads and attend high level meetings, exposing them to the responsibilities of each department, and current local government issues. The intern’s interests and goals will be taken into account for projects. The work schedule is flexible, with core office hours between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Typical Learning Experiences: The CITY MANAGEMENT INTERN may be called upon to do any or all of the following:
Research issues facing the City of Mt. Pleasant
Draft reports detailing research
Make recommendations to the Human Resources Director and City Manager
The expected research projects may include:
- Survey of paid time off policies at other municipalities
- Research and summary of retirement program structures
- Development of a policy related to naming City facilities
- Development of an internship manual for future interns
These examples do not include all of the tasks that the intern may be expected to perform. All tasks performed are intended to provide the intern with new skills and a valuable learning experience.
Qualifications for Internship:
Intern must be a graduate student in the MPA program, a public administration undergraduate major of senior or junior standing, or recently graduated from an undergraduate public administration program; Intern must be willing to commit up to at least 80 hours of work over the duration of the internship, typically a college semester. Also, interested Interns should be pursuing or dedicated to a career in public service.
Required Application Materials:
- Completed Job Application (PDF) This is a public position, as such the City cannot guarantee confidentiality once the applicant accepts an invitation to interview. If you would like to request confidentiality during the pre-interview phase, please indicate your request on the application form.
- Completed Criminal History Background Check Authorization Form (PDF)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure & Authorization (PDF)
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- Three references
Send required materials to Human Resources Director Susanne Gandy at
Application Deadline: Accepting application materials until the position is filled.
Potential Start Date: As soon as possibleStudents may earn academic credit for this internship if coordinated through their degree program with Central Michigan University. The internship is an unpaid opportunity.