Community Information Intern
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
We seek enthusiastic and reliable individuals who are knowledgeable about public relations/communications and interested in developing career skills. This position is responsible for contributing to various aspects of the City of Mt. Pleasant’s communications efforts.
- Basic knowledge of public relations and/or marketing
- Strong writing skills; demonstrated experience in news, publication and web writing
- Strong research, interpersonal communication, organizational and computer skills
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Professional demeanor for interaction with others via phone, e-mail, or in person
- New media, video, and other related knowledge
- Strategic use of social media
- Designing with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Video production equipment; video editing software
- Knowledge of local government
Duties may include:
- Writing news and feature stories about City events, programs, residents and/or staff for publications and media
- Editing and special projects
- Participation in multimedia video shoots and editing
- Writing website content and developing suggested layouts
- Making website updates utilizing Adobe Dreamweaver
- Support and collaboration for communication efforts
- Work with City staff to gather stories for communications and publicity
- Collecting information, research, survey information, and other data on website, social media and other communication tools
- Assisting with publications and photography archiving and sharing
Availability and schedule:
Schedule flexibility offered; 10-15 hours per week minimum commitment. Regular schedule will be during work hours (8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.) yet some evenings/weekend hours will be necessary.
What students will learn:
Interns will gain practical experience in a variety of public relations, multimedia, social media and Web projects and activities. Working in an exciting local government environment, you will work hand-in-hand with the Public Relations Coordinator to play an active role in communication activities for the City, research statistics and ideas for special projects and media outreach, join in brainstorming sessions, assist with photography and videography efforts, and become engrossed in the day-to-day activities of the public relations office.
Physical/mental demands and work environment:
- The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, and walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and is occasionally required to kneel and crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must possess the physical abilities to transport equipment weighing up to 5 to 15 lbs.; transport self to meetings, events, etc. Must possess the mental abilities to analyze, reason, comprehend, evaluate, organize, effectively communicate and handle the stress associated with the responsibilities of the position. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
A stipend of $1,000 per semester.
Applications accepted until position is filled. To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- Letter of Interest
- Completed Job Application (PDF) This is a public position, as such the City cannot guarantee confidentiality once the applicant accepts an invitation to interview. If you would like to request confidentiality during the pre-interview phase, please indicate your request on the application form.
- Completed Criminal History Background Check Authorization Form (PDF)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure & Authorization (PDF)
Submit these materials to:
City of Mount Pleasant
Human Resources Department
320 West Broadway Street
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
By email: HR@mt‐pleasant.org**
(**Please combine multiple documents into a single Word or PDF file before submitting, incomplete documents will not be accepted**)