The City of Mt. Pleasant is seeking applications from aviation minded, independent and reliable individuals who are knowledgeable about airport operations and interested in learning and developing a passion for aviation. This position is responsible for assisting the Airport Manager with general labor, customer service, mechanical updates, and snow plowing, landscaping and daily routine tasks.
The Airport Worker reports directly to the Airport Manager.
Pay rate: $12.00 per hour
Availability and schedule:
This is a variable hour employee position; as such the typical work week is 20 hours. Additional hours will be available to cover vacation, emergencies and other unexpected events. Schedule flexibility is offered. The expected work schedule will vary during the training process. The selected candidate will be expected to work as needed for emergencies, snow removal; include nights, weekends and call-outs for unexpected flight arrivals/departures. The successful candidate must have the ability to respond to the Airport from their residence within 15 minutes.
Overview of required skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent education
- One year of airport ground work experience and/or the possession of airport maintenance or mechanical skills and the ability to learn a variety of airport terminology, practices, procedures and safety regulations as well as various maintenance and mechanical tasks
- Safe working practices in and around airplanes, airport equipment and/or areas
- Safe working practices in lifting heavy objects and using power equipment and hand tools, mowers, snow plowing equipment, etc.
- Understand Zero Meridian Time (Zulu) system
- FAA Automated Weather System (AWOS), weather tracking system read and relay information
- Pilot hand signals
- Airport terminology, layout and proper protocol for ground to pilot instructions
- Respond to emergency situation involving the airport and be on scene at the Airport within 15 minutes from call out notification
- Learn basic fire extinguisher operation, first aid and CPR
- Learn safe working practices around moving and stationary aircraft
- Perform simple and routine maintenance on airport equipment, such as lawn mowers, light trucks and airplane tractors
- Learn AWOS system and proper communication procedures
- Read simple schematics and blueprints to trace airport lighting system failures and isolate bad circuits for repair
- Process credit card transaction on behalf of the airport
See entire job description for additional information.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following by Friday, March 31, 2017:
- Cover Letter;
- Completed Job Application (PDF); This is a public position, as such the City cannot guarantee confidentiality once the applicant accepts an invitation to interview. If you would like to request confidentiality during the pre-interview phase, please indicate your request on the application form.
- Completed Criminal History Background Check Authorization Form (PDF);
- Completed Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure and Authorization (PDF);
Interviews are tentatively scheduled for April 11, 2017.
Submit these materials to:
City of Mount Pleasant
Human Resources Department
320 West Broadway Street
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
By email: **HR@mt-pleasant.org **
(**Please combine multiple documents into a single Word or PDF file before submitting, incomplete documents will not be accepted**)
The City of Mount Pleasant is an Equal Opportunity Employer