I think my bill has an error?
If you believe that your water bill has an error, please contact the utility billing department by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (989) 779-5387. If you believe that your water bill is unusually high, please consider that you may have a leak and see the next question.
Why is my water bill so high?
If your water bill is unusually high, you may have a leak. Leaks can commonly occur in the following places:Check these water wasters:
- Toilets - The flapper is the most common source of problems. Turn the water supply valve off at the toilet and watch the level in the toilet bowl. If the level drops, replace the flapper and clean the flapper seal in the toilet tank. In addition, check the level in the tank. After flushing, the water should shut off when the tank level is about ½ inch to 1 inch below the overflow. If water does not shut off at this level, adjust the float in the toilet water tank. Use the dye test to confirm a toilet leak. Dye packets and instructions are available upon request.
- Water Softeners - After the softener has regenerated, check to see if water is still running down the drain. If it is, the softener needs to be repaired. Consider turning off and bypassing your softener. Remember, the Water Treatment Plant softens your water for you!
- Faucets - Dripping faucets should be repaired or replaced.
- Furnace Humidifier - Inspect the humidifier float to make sure that it is shutting off the fill water at the level recommended by the manufacturer. Check your owner's manual for details.
An easy way to check for a leak is to perform an Overnight Leak Check. To do so, follow these steps:
- Locate your water meter inside your house.
- Read and record it in the evening when you are done using water for the day. If you have a softener, pick a day that your softener will not be regenerating.
- Read it again the next morning before you use any water. If your meter reading changed overnight when no one was using water, you have a leak.
If you find a leak, get it fixed as soon as possible!