Department of Building Safety
Building Official, Brian Kench
The Department of Building Safety is responsible for administering and enforcing the provisions of the State construction code throughout the City. Our staff works closely with the Isabella County department to issue permits and inspect all electrical, plumbing and mechanical installation that may also be part of your project. Contact Information and links to their applications are also provided below.
Inspectors strive to provide fair, knowledgeable, and consistent enforcement of all State and local codes to ensure that all life/fire safety features of your project are met, property values are preserved and the public is safeguarded in the built environment.
CODES IN EFFECT
2012 International Fire Code with Appendices went into effect May 11, 2016
2015 Michigan Residential Code went into effect February 8, 2016
2014 Michigan Electrical Code went into effect June 18, 2015
2012 Michigan Building Code/reference standards went into effect October 9, 2014
2012 Michigan Rehab. Code for Existing Buildings went into effect October 9, 2014
2012 Michigan Plumbing Code went into effect January 17, 2014
2012 Michigan Mechanical Code went into effect September 27, 2013
2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1 accessibility standards went into effect March 9, 2011
Staff is committed to creating a positive experience for you during your construction project. We invite you to contact our department with any questions that you may have or if you wish to setup a time to review your project during the design phase.
Brian Kench, Building Official
City of Mt. Pleasant
Phone: (989) 779-5301
Please note that once you obtain approval for a building permit from the Building Safety department, you can pay for your permit online. You will need both the permit number and the amount.
New! AccessMyGov Online Services
- Apply for a Permit Online* (*Projects that require construction plans and/or a site plan will need to be submitted to the Department for review before a Building Permit is issued).
- Schedule a Building Inspection Online
There are a number of ways to learn how to use the AccessMyGov online services. Video tutorials of each process are available below. Brochures with step-by-step instructions will be available soon!
Building Safety Forms
- Building Permit Application
- Building Permit Checklist
- Contractor Information Form
- Demolition Permit Application
- Michigan Energy Code Worksheet
- Pole Barn Design Tool (XLS)
- Residential Parking Permit Application
- Roof Loading Data Sheet
- Sign Permit Application– Permanent & Portable
- Zoning Approval Application
Isabella County Permit Forms:
- Don't Let Your Gas Appliances Starve For Air!
- Do I Need a Permit for My Home Project?
- The Sound of Safety
- Make a Safe Exit
- Don't Let Electrical Cords Create A Danger in Your House!
- Home Builder's Association of Central Michigan
- State of Michigan
- Download to Recheck Software
- Verify a Contractor License
- Code Watch
- Building Code Effectiveness Grading
- Asbestos NESHAP Program
- Deck-Stair Construction
- Affidavit For Determining the Number of Plumbing Fixtures
- Emergency Egress Requirements
- Typical Deck Details