Welcome to the City of Mt. Pleasant’s special event page!
Special events help build a sense of belonging and community pride. The Special Event Team exists to serve the community and to guide event planners through the special event permitting process. All reservations for special events, such as festivals, runs or walks, parades, block parties, and citywide holiday celebrations that take place on public property are initiated through this team.
We have created a user-friendly, one-stop process to facilitate a successful event. Our Guide to Special Events is designed to provide you with the necessary information about permitting, planning and producing your event.
Our dedicated, professional Special Events Team is your resource on all aspects of event production. We recommend that all events contact the Public Safety Department early in the planning process. We will be happy to provide guidance and answer your questions.
We strive to deliver outstanding customer service to ensure your event is a success.Sincerely,
The City of Mt. Pleasant Special Event Team
Special Event Team
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know if I need a Special Event Permit?
A Special Event Permit is required when an event organizer plans a celebration, festival, fair, carnival or similar local special event which is held wholly or partially upon a street, park or public property.
Please note: General park shelter rentals for such activities as family reunions, weddings, club/business meetings, and picnics do not need to fill out a special event application; however, a park facility rental application is needed.
- Where will I find the application forms and packets?
You can refer to the links at the bottom of this page. Please thoroughly read all applicable instructions, answer all the questions, and submit all the documents required for us to process the application. Incomplete and late applications will not be accepted and will delay processing.
- Can I promote my event before I get a permit?
Please do not publicize your event if you've only filed an application form. Filing an application does not guarantee approval of your event. The application(s) and map(s) must be approved - prior to your promoting the event through distributing flyers, notifying the press, contacting the media, or promoting your event by word-of-mouth.
- How do I decide which park will be best for my special event?
Although each of our City parks have room for a variety of events and shelters you can rent, you need to determine if the park you select has enough parking to accommodate your anticipated attendance. Not sure what park will fit your need? Visit the Parks web page for information on each of our parks and available amenities.
- How do I apply for a Special Event Permit?
Please review the Guide to Special Events to familiarize yourself with the permitting process2. Call Officer Jeff Browne to check the date, space availability and general special event overview; a tentative hold may be placed on the calendar
3. Fill out the application and necessary forms for the special event and email or drop them off in person to Officer Jeff Browne at the Division of Public Safety Building, 804 E. High Street
Special Event Links
- Guide to Special Events
- Guidelines for "Run/Walk" Events Utilizing the GKB Trail System
- Run / Walk / Parade Application
- Special Event Permit Application
- Special information and conditions of receiving a special event permit
Park Rules, Facility Rentals and Guidelines
- Park Facility Rental Fees & Amenities (PDF)
- Application for use of Park Facility (PDF)
- Shelter Rental Rules & Regs (PDF)
- City Park Ordinances (PDF)
- River Access Rules & Etiquette (PDF)
- Commercial River Access Policy & License (PDF) | Special Use Application (PDF)
- Skate Park Rules
- Geocaching Policy (PDF) | Geocaching Permit (PDF)
- Restroom Closure & Winterization (PDF)