City of Mt. Pleasant Home

Forms and Permits

The Engineering Department is responsible for reviewing and inspecting all construction done within the City right-of-way. The right-of-way is generally identified as the area along a public street that lies between the sidewalk and the street. Alleys are also considered a public right-of-way. The actual width of a right-of-way varies considerably throughout the community, so it is best to contact the Engineering Department to determine the width of the right-of-way in your neighborhood.

A right-of-way permit can be obtained at the Public Works Building, 320 W. Broadway. Typical projects that need a permit include water or sewer line replacement, sidewalk construction, driveway approaches, storm sewer projects, and tree planting. If a contractor is hired to construct the project, then the contractor must provide proof of insurance and sign the right-of-way permit.

A water permit is required for the installation or replacement of a water service, or for the purchase of a new water meter.

The Engineering Department must be contacted to inspect the work before it is completed. If work is performed in the right-of-way without a permit or an inspection, penalties will be assessed to the property owner/contractor.

Permits are available for download here. Please fill out and return to the Public Works Building, 320 W. Broadway.