Refuse and Recycling
The City refuse collection program operates on a bag/tag system. This means the residents pay for refuse pick-up by purchasing City refuse bags or City refuse tags. The City will pick up your refuse if you:
- Use City refuse bags, or plastic bags or trash containers with a City refuse tag attached to all bags or trash containers.
- Use bags or trash containers no larger than 34 gallons in size and weighing no more than 50 pounds.
- All residents, including those with an alley, must set properly bagged or tagged refuse at the curb on the street by 7:30 a.m. on your specified collection day.
- Make sure plastic bags and trash containers are not broken or damaged before collection.
Refuse bags/tags may be purchased at the City Treasurer's office, Kroger, Meijer, and Ric's Food Center.
If you live in a single family home within the city limits, you are eligible for curbside recycling collection. The current charge for this service is $1.50 per month and is listed as a separate item on your water and sewer bill. A blue City recycling bin is required. If you do not have a City blue bin, you may purchase a replacement bin for $6.00 at the Public Works office, located at 1303 N. Franklin St., or at City Hall.
Residents of rooming houses and multi-family dwellings may also participate. To find out if you qualify for this service, please contact the Public Works office at (989) 779-5401.
Recyclable materials should be placed in the blue City recycling bin and set out for collection in the designated area no earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before collection and removed from the street view and alley right-of-way by 12:00 midnight on collection day. Call Public Works at 989-779-5401 to find out your collection day and designated area. If all of your recyclable materials will not fit inside the City blue bin, you may use another container, such as an old laundry basket, another bin, etc. Large boxes must be flattened and cut into sections no larger than 2’ x 3’. All recyclables must be clean.
Tips & Reminders
- The City will not pick up refuse unless City refuse bags or tags are attached to each bag or trash container used.
- Put recyclable materials for collection beside the bin if they will not fit in the bin. The City will not pick up recyclable materials unless the designated City blue bin is out.
- You are responsible for refuse scattered prior to collection.
- Wrap broken glass in newspaper to help prevent injuries.
- Hazardous materials such as oil, gas, paint, hot ashes or acid will not be collected with your refuse.
- A tablespoon of ammonia in each bag will help keep animals away.
- For your convenience, please be sure your refuse and recycling are meeting these regulations or it will not be collected.
- Mt. Pleasant Refuse Collection Schedule (PDF)
- Refuse & Recycling Guide
- Large Item Pickup Guide
- 2016 Holiday Collection Schedule (PDF)
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
Special collections for household hazardous waste (HHW) and electronic waste (E-waste) will be posted on the Isabella County Recycling Center website.
Large Item Pickup Program
Beginning January 2016, the City of Mt. Pleasant will launch the Large Item Pickup Program. Through the purchase of a sticker issued by the City, residents will be able to place large items at their City trash collection site or curbside for disposal. Please see the Large Item Pickup Program instruction guide for more information.
Additional Options for Household Bulk Items
Household bulk items (couches, refrigerators, etc.) may also be picked up by the following licensed waste haulers. These large items are considered a special pickup and must be set up by the customer.
- D. Clare Services at (989) 772-1277
- Waste Management at (800) 796-9696
- Dent Refuse at (800) 928-3368
You may wish to haul bulk items to the Northern Oaks Landfill in Harrison. Call (989) 539-6111 for gate fees and hours.
Material Recovery Facility
Address: 4208 E. River Road
Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday - 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Other materials collected at the Recycling Center include yard waste ($1/bag) and used motor oil ($0.25/gallon).