City of Mt. Pleasant Home

Refuse and Recycling

Refuse Collection

The City refuse collection program operates on a bag/tag system. This means the residents pay for refuse pick-up by purchasing City refuse bags or City refuse tags. The City will pick up your refuse if you:

  • Use City refuse bags, or plastic bags or trash containers with a City refuse tag attached to all bags or trash containers.
  • Use bags or trash containers no larger than 34 gallons in size and weighing no more than 50 pounds.
  • All residents, including those with an alley, must set properly bagged or tagged refuse at the curb on the street by 7:30 a.m. on your specified collection day.
  • Make sure plastic bags and trash containers are not broken or damaged before collection.

Refuse bags/tags may be purchased at the City Treasurer's office, Kroger, Meijer, and Ric's Food Center.

Curbside Recycling

City residents and individuals occupying a rooming house are able to participate in the recycling program. A blue City recycling bin is required and can be purchased for $6.00 at the Division of Public Works office, located at 1303 N. Franklin Street, or at City Hall.

Rooming houses are charged $1.50 per month, per unit and the fees must be paid in advance from the current month to May 1 of each year.

Recyclable materials should be placed in the blue City recycling bin and set out for collection at the same time and place as refuse. If recyclable materials will not fit in the blue recycling bin, the bin must be placed beside the materials to be collected. All recyclable materials must be clean. Acceptable materials include:

  • Cardboard, boxboard, brown paper bags
  • Office paper (please place in a shopping bag and tie closed)
  • Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, phone books
  • Plastic jugs and bottles
  • Clear and brown glass bottles and jars
  • Tin cans, empty aerosol cans, and aluminum cans, foil, and trays
Tips & Reminders
  • The City will not pick up refuse unless City refuse bags or tags are attached to each bag or trash container used.
  • Put recyclable materials for collection beside the bin if they will not fit in the bin. The City will not pick up recyclable materials unless the designated City blue bin is out.
  • You are responsible for refuse scattered prior to collection.
  • Wrap broken glass in newspaper to help prevent injuries.
  • Hazardous materials such as oil, gas, paint, hot ashes or acid will not be collected with your refuse.
  • A tablespoon of ammonia in each bag will help keep animals away.
  • For your convenience, please be sure your refuse meets these regulations or it will not be collected.
Useful resources
Household Hazardous Waste Collection

Special collections for household hazardous waste (HHW) and electronic waste (E-waste) will be posted on the Isabella County Recycling Center website.

Household Bulk Items

Household bulk items (couches, refrigerators, etc.) may be picked up by the following licensed waste haulers. These large items are considered a special pick up and must be set up by the customer.

  • D. Clare Services at (989) 772-1277
  • Waste Management at (800) 796-9696
  • Dent Refuse at (800) 928-3368

You may wish to haul bulk items to the Northern Oaks Landfill in Harrison. Call (989) 539-6111 for gate fees and hours.

Additional questions?

Material Recovery Facility
(Recycling Center)

Address: 4208 E. River Road
Hotline: 989.773.9631


Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday - 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Other materials collected at the Recycling Center include yard waste ($1/bag) and used motor oil ($0.25/gallon).