Property Details and History
The Mt. Pleasant Center property owned by the City of Mt. Pleasant consists of 21 buildings totaling more than 500,000 square feet of space, connected by a road network, tunnel system and central power plant. Some of the buildings are in extreme disrepair. Several contain asbestos and lead paint; others have been closed or vacant for decades. Two parcels of the property are owned by the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and are comprised of former Mt. Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School buildings and a Native American cemetery. The land owned by the City totals nearly 305 acres and consists of 21 buildings. Also located along the West side of the property is the Mt. Pleasant Public Schools’ Community Education building.
A 2009 appraisal of the property concluded that existing facilities, at that time, ranged in condition from average to poor, with many requiring immediate demolition. The appraisal also noted the overall design, construction and layout of the existing improvements are institutional and not conducive to re-use or redevelop without significant costs.
HistoryThe Mt. Pleasant Center property, in its entirety, contains the former Mt. Pleasant Regional Center, the former Mt. Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School, and a Native American cemetery. The Indian Industrial Boarding School was developed in 1894 and over the years went through several transformations, including use as a boys’ vocational center. The Mt. Pleasant Center was opened by the State of Michigan in 1938 as a hospital and residential care facility for people with varying disabilities.
A bulk of the improvements on the campus, including central power plant, were constructed in the 1950’s and 1960’s, and renovations were made in 2007 in an attempt to modernize parts of the facility. Operations involving residents at the Mt. Pleasant Center ceased in September 2009. The property was vacated by staff in February 2010.
Click here to view historical aerial photos of the property (PDF file).