City of Mt. Pleasant Home

Services and Programs

No Fee Brush Chipping – Week of May 9, 2022
All Available Slots Have Been Filled

The City of Mt. Pleasant will conduct the 2022 No Fee Brush Chipping Program the week of May 9, 2022 for residents who live within the city limits.

  • Reservations for this free service are on a first come, first served basis to the first 150 residents who register
  • Residents may register by one of the following methods:
    • Call Public Works at (989) 779-5401 beginning at 8:00 a.m.
    • Fill out the online form here.
  • Reservations will be accepted until 150 total reservations are received
  • All reservations must be received no later 4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 29.
  • Brush chipping will be performed at no cost once per address for a period up to 30 minutes.  Residents may not transfer a portion of the 30-minutes maximum to another resident.
  • Brush chipping will be completed at curbside only. No chipping will occur in the alleys.
  • Residents must adhere to the City’s brush chipping guidelines.
    • Brush must originate from the property
    • Brush should be placed at curbside only, and no later than 7:00 a.m. on Monday, May 9.  Brush that is placed at curbside after this date and time will not be chipped.
    • Brush should be piled neatly with the cut or broken ends facing the street.  If you do not have room to do so without blocking the sidewalk, brush may be neatly piled parallel to the street.
    • Brush must not protrude into or obstruct the sidewalk or block view of traffic.
    • Chipping will occur sometime during the week of May 9-13, and not necessarily beginning on Monday.  Due to the number of locations and potential weather conditions, it may take until Friday to complete the chipping at all 150 locations. We thank you in advance for your patience!
    • For the safety of the crews, branches must be at least 2-feet long (may be longer) and can up to 9” in diameter (around).
    • Brush only please!  Grass clippings, leaves, roots, vines, weeds, dead flowers or grass, wood chips, dirt, trim board, lumber, fencing, wooden bed frames/slats, etc. are not permitted.  These items may clogged the chipper and pose a risk to the collection crews.  Yard waste, such as dead grass, leaves, etc. may be dropped off for a fee at the Materials Collection Facility, 4208 E. River Rd., Mt. Pleasant, (989) 773-9631.
    • Non-compliant brush piles will not be chipped.
Brush Chipping - Fee-Based (year-round)

The program operates year-round, weather permitting, and provides curbside or alley pick up of brush that is not eligible for collection by the City's user fee, weekly refuse collection. Brush must originate from the adjacent property.

  • BRUSH - $45.00 for initial 30 minutes
  • Over 30 minutes, you will be billed $1.65 per minute plus 10.5% overhead for each minute over the initial 30 minutes.

Brush Pick-Up Requirements:

Brush must be neatly piled with the butt ends of the branches facing the street. BRUSH ONLY -- brush with trunks over 9" in diameter, grass clippings, leaves, stumps, roots, weeds, vines, flowers, wire, or other foreign materials are not permitted.

Brush may not be placed at the curbside or in the alley earlier than one week before the designated day of collection. The designated day of collection will be stated when residents pay for the service. Residents who place brush at the curbside for an extended amount of time will be subject to fines and/or asked to remove the brush from the curbside and store it properly until the day of pick up.

Placement and pick-up

  1. Brush for pick up is to be placed at the curbside or in the alley no earlier than the week before the scheduled pick up and no later than 7 a.m. on the scheduled day of pick up.
  2. City ordinance indicates that brush placed at the curbside for this program shall at no time obstruct any city sidewalk, right-of-way, or view of traffic.
  3. This program and the timely pick up of brush are subject to inclement weather conditions, the volume of pick-ups scheduled, and other obligations of City crews at the discretion of the Street Superintendent. If brush scheduled for pick up has not been picked up by 4 p.m. of the Thursday following the scheduled pick up, contact the Public Works office at (989) 779-5401.

Application and payment (Fee-based service)

Application and payment of fees must be made in advance and will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. the Thursday before the second and fourth Mondays of the month. There are two ways to pay:

Complete the application and pay online. Click here to learn how.


Download the brush pick-up application here. Application and payment can be made at:

Treasurer's Office / City Hall
320 W. Broadway
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858


Residents are encouraged to read and follow the guidelines as set forth above. Failure to comply with the guidelines and restrictions of the program will result in forfeiture of the fees paid, and the property owner/resident will be responsible for removing brush from the public right-of-way in a timely manner.

Christmas Tree Collection

**Christmas tree collection for 2022 has been completed.

Two Trash Bag Tags Needed for Curbside Tree Collection

The Street Department collects discarded Christmas trees from residents within the city limits each January (watch for dates). This curbside collection can be utilized by attaching two City trash bag tags to the tree, for a cost of $6.30. Trash bag tags for this service can be purchased at Meijer and Ric’s in packages of 10. Individual tags can be purchased at GreenTree Grocery Co-Op and City Hall.

The 2022 Christmas tree collection dates will be Monday, January 3 to Friday, January 14, 2022. Any trees remaining after Friday, January 14, 2022 may be taken to the Materials Recovery Facility, 4208 E. River Road, Mt. Pleasant, or disposed of through the City’s brush chipping program.

Large Item Pick Up

This program is available for residents who live within the City limits proper. It is recommended you purchase your large item sticker in advance of your trash collection day. If you purchase stickers online, please call the Treasurer’s Office at (989) 779-5387 and let them know how many stickers you purchased. Stickers may then be picked up at City Hall, 320 W. Broadway.

Place the sticker on your large item and set out at your designated collection point (alley or curbside) by 7:30 a.m. on your City trash collection day. Items containing Freon are not eligible. The guidelines of the large item sticker program are available for review here.

Pay for your large item sticker now.


Leaf Pick-up

Leaf collection for 2021 has been completed.

Each fall, the City provides fall leaf pick-up program during late October and November.

See the most recent leaf collection schedule here.

Residents are reminded to rake leaves in low piles into the gutter. Leaves should not cover storm sewer catch basins. Yard waste bags should not be used. On major streets like High Street and Pickard Street where traffic prohibits leaves in the gutter, leaves may be raked between the curb and sidewalk. Watch for additional information on cable access Channel 96 or information will be published in local newspapers (CM Life and The Morning Sun). Residents may also contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401 with any program questions.

Sewer Backups
All residents and commercial establishment operators should contact a plumber first prior to calling the City of Mt. Pleasant for assistance with sewer back-ups (sink or shower will not drain, toilet will not flush, water back-up from basement floor drain, etc.). The plumber is responsible for determining if the problem is in the property owner’s sanitary sewer service or lead.  If the plumber is unable to remedy the back-up because the plumber believes the cause is in the sewer main, the plumber should contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (after hours calls should be directed to Central Dispatch at (989) 773-1000).  City crews will then be sent to check the sanitary sewer main and verify that the property owner is still experiencing a back-up. .

In January 2002, the State of Michigan passed Public Act 222, a law regarding citizens’ rights to recover damages caused by a sanitary or storm sewer back-up event.  Under the law, if you experience an overflow or back-up of sanitary or storm sewer on your property and damage has occurred, you must file a written claim with the Division of Public Works within 45 days.  While filing a claim does not guarantee that damages will be covered, failure to provide the required written notice will prevent any possible recovery of loss.  If you experience damage to your home or business and/or possessions as a result of a sewer back-up, it is recommended that you consult your homeowner’s insurance policy for coverage of these items.

How to file a claim for damages following a sewer backup
Sidewalk Replacement
The Street Department replaces broken and/or hazardous sections of existing sidewalk each summer. If you see a sidewalk in need of repair, please call Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Snow Removal
The Street Department is responsible for snow removal and ice control on city streets. Street crews are available 24 hours a day to respond to inclement winter weather.

The City is divided into four snowplowing routes and five salting routes. Major streets and downtown businesses are plowed first, followed by local (residential) streets, then parking lots, and lastly cul-de-sacs and alleys.

A recent change to the City’s parking ordinance allows for overnight parking, except in the downtown area. Overnight parking on the street in the downtown area is not allowed at any time of year. Salting and plowing may start anytime during the day or night. Cars should be off the streets or parked in driveways overnight when inclement weather is predicted. If a snow emergency is declared, you are required by ordinance to remove your vehicle from the street. Vehicles parked on the street during a snow emergency are subject to ticketing and towing.

Please help us expedite snowplowing by:

  • Avoid parking on streets when inclement weather is predicted.
  • Clearing sidewalks of snow within 24 hours, including your mailbox approach. (Streets/Parks staff clear sidewalks in some areas of the City. See the map of sidewalk snow plow routes for details.)
  • Checking your mailbox posts. If the post is worn, rotted, or too close to the roadway, it may be damaged from the weight of the snow being plowed. Please check with the U.S. Postal Service requirements if you wish to move your mailbox post.
Please report streetlight outages directly to Consumers Energy at 800-477-5050 or online at   If there is an issue with one of the blue City-owned decorative lights, please contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401 or send an email to

Tree Planting

The Street Department plants a variety of trees in the city rights-of-way as part of the City’s Urban Forestry Plan. The goal of this plan is to establish a diverse population of street trees in the City to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the streets. Under the Urban Forestry Plan, property owners may register to have a tree planted in the right of way in front of their property. Each parcel and/or property owner is allowed one free tree per year. The Street crew will determine the best location for the tree in the right-of-way. Once the tree is planted, the property owner is asked to water the tree per the directions provided.  Additional watering is encouraged during extended periods of hot, dry weather during the summer months. To have a tree planted, fill out a Tree Application and mail back to Public Works at 320 W. Broadway, or by email to by March 1 for planting in the spring. Click here to view the Tree Planting Brochure.
If a resident wishes to plant their own tree in the right-of-way, a permit must first be obtained from the Public Works office. There is no charge for the permit, however, there is a limitation to the size and species of tree that can be planted in this area. For more information, please contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Tree Trimming

Each year the Street Department hires a contractor, through a bid process, to trim specified street trees in the rights-of-way throughout the City. If you notice any street trees that are in need of attention, please call Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Bulk Water

The City of Mt. Pleasant’s bulk water fill station is designed for contractors who need to fill a large tank for projects, such as hydroseeding, well drilling, or landscaping.  The fill station is located at the Street Department, 1303 N. Franklin Avenue.   

  • The annual fee is $100.  Payment options:
    • Sign up and pay in-person at the Public Works office, City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St., Mt. Pleasant. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
    • Online and pay with a checking account, credit or debit card.  There is a $2 convenience fee charged by the processing company for all debit and credit card payments.
    • Payment of the annual fee provides the applicant access to the City’s water fill station from the time payment is confirmed until City staff remove the water meter and winterize the fill station at the end of the season
  • Fill station is open 24-hours a day, seven days a week until the meter is removed and the fill station is winterized for the season
  • Access to the Street Department building’s water supply is not allowed
  • The meter is locked, and contractors will be given the lock code once payment has been received/confirmed.  The lock code is changed annually.
  • Contractors must supply their own hose and a 2” female quick disconnect 
  • The fill station is fitted with a backflow preventer to prevent cross contamination to the potable water supply
  • Click Here to complete the application and pay online 
  • Questions? Call Public Works at (989) 779-5401, or send an email to

Click here to access a complete list of forms and permits for all Public Works' Services and Programs.