City of Mt. Pleasant Home

Water Resource Recovery Facility

The City of Mount Pleasant’s Water Resource Recovery Facility (WRRF) is responsible for treating all residential and commercial sanitary sewage generated in the city limits. Sewage is transported through the collection system which includes 15 lift stations. Pumps raise the liquid to a level from which it can flow by gravity to the plant. The WRRF is an advanced secondary plant that utilizes primary sedimentation, bio-towers, rotating biological contactors, final clarification, and chlorination and de-chlorination for the water resource recovery.

The WRRF staff are responsible for repairs and maintenance to the equipment at the facility, as well as the lift stations. WRRF staff also monitor and perform laboratory analysis on the sewage as it undergoes treatment at the facility. The treated sewage must meet stringent state and federal standards before it can be discharged to the Chippewa River. The WRRF is a Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) approved septage receiving station, and accepts septage from area septic tank waste haulers.

All facility operators are required to hold a minimum of a Class D Wastewater Treatment license as issued by EGLE. Combined, the WRRF staff has exceeded the state standards by obtaining Class A, Class B, and Class C Wastewater Treatment licenses. Operators attend many training courses throughout the year to stay updated on the industry and to increase job knowledge.

Tours are available for interested citizens, students and civic groups. Please call 989-779-5451 or 989-779-5453 and a WRRF staff member will be happy to assist you.

Sewer Backups

All residents and commercial establishment operators should contact a plumber first prior to calling the City of Mt. Pleasant for assistance with sewer back-ups (sink or shower will not drain, toilet will not flush, water back-up from basement floor drain, etc.). The plumber is responsible for determining if the problem is in the property owner’s sanitary sewer service or lead.  If the plumber is unable to remedy the back-up because the plumber believes the cause is in the sewer main, the plumber should contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (after hours calls should be directed to Central Dispatch at (989) 773-1000).  City crews will then be sent to check the sanitary sewer main and verify that the property owner is still experiencing a back-up. 

In January 2002, the State of Michigan passed Public Act 222, a law regarding citizens’ rights to recover damages caused by a sanitary or storm sewer back-up event.  Under the law, if you experience an overflow or back-up of sanitary or storm sewer on your property and damage has occurred, you must file a written claim with the Division of Public Works within 45 days.  While filing a claim does not guarantee that damages will be covered, failure to provide the required written notice will prevent any possible recovery of loss.  If you experience damage to your home or business and/or possessions as a result of a sewer back-up, it is recommended that you consult your homeowner’s insurance policy for coverage of these items.

Filing a claim for damages following a sewer backup: