Street Department

Fee Based Brush Chipping (year round)
The program operates year-round, weather permitting, and provides curbside or alley pick up of brush that is not eligible for collection by the City's user fee, weekly refuse collection. Brush must originate from the adjacent property.

BRUSH-$45 for initial 30 minutes
Over 30 minutes, you will be billed $1.65 per minute plus 10.5% overhead for each minute over the initial 30 minutes.

Christmas Tree Collection
The Street Department collects discarded Christmas trees from residents within the city limits each January. This curbside collection can be utilized by attaching two City refuse tags to the tree. Individual tags for this service can be purchased at Meijer, Ric’s, Green Tree Grocery Co-Op and City Hall.

The 2024 Christmas tree collection dates will be January 8-19, 2024. Any trees remaining after January 19, 2024 may be taken to the Materials Recovery Facility, 4208 E. River Road, Mt. Pleasant, or disposed of through the City’s brush chipping program.

Leaf Pick-Up
For the most recent information click here.

Sewer Backups
  • All residents and commercial establishment operators should first contact a plumber before calling the City for assistance with sewer back-ups (sink or shower will not drain, toilet will not flush, water back-up from basement floor drain, etc.).
  • The plumber is responsible for determining if the problem is in the property owner’s sanitary sewer service or lead. 
  • If the plumber believes the cause is in the sewer main, the plumber should contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (after hours calls should be directed to Central Dispatch at (989) 773-1000.
In January 2002, the State of Michigan passed Public Act 222, a law regarding citizens’ rights to recover damages caused by a sanitary or storm sewer back-up event.  Under the law, if you experience an overflow or back-up of sanitary or storm sewer on your property and damage has occurred, you must file a written claim with the Division of Public Works within 45 days.  While filing a claim does not guarantee that damages will be covered, failure to provide the required written notice will prevent any possible recovery of loss.  If you experience damage to your home or business and/or possessions as a result of a sewer back-up, it is recommended that you consult your homeowner’s insurance policy for coverage of these items.

Filing a claim for damages following a sewer backup:

Sidewalk Replacement
The Street Department replaces broken and/or hazardous sections of existing sidewalk each summer. If you see a sidewalk in need of repair, please call Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Snow Removal
The Street Department is responsible for snow removal and ice control on city streets. Street crews are available 24 hours a day to respond to inclement winter weather.

The City is divided into four snowplowing routes and five salting routes. Major streets and downtown businesses are plowed first, followed by local (residential) streets, then parking lots, and lastly cul-de-sacs and alleys.

  • A recent change to the City’s parking ordinance allows for overnight street parking, except in the downtown area.
  • Overnight parking on the street in the downtown area is not allowed at any time of year.
  • Salting and plowing may start anytime during the day or night.
  • Cars should be off the streets or parked in driveways overnight when inclement weather is predicted.
  • If a snow emergency is declared, you are required by ordinance to remove your vehicle from the street.
  • Vehicles parked on the street during a snow emergency are subject to ticketing and towing.
Please help us expedite snowplowing by:

  • Avoid parking on streets when inclement weather is predicted.
  • Clearing sidewalks of snow within 24 hours, including your mailbox approach. (Streets/Parks staff clear sidewalks in some areas of the City. See the map of sidewalk snow plow routes for details.)
  • Checking your mailbox posts. If the post is worn, rotted, or too close to the roadway, it may be damaged from the weight of the snow being plowed. Please check the U.S. Postal Service requirements if you wish to move your mailbox post.

Please report streetlight outages directly to Consumers Energy at (800) 477-5050 or online at   If there is an issue with one of the blue City-owned decorative lights, please contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401 or send an email to

Tree Planting
Under the Urban Forestry Plan, property owners may register to have a tree planted in the right of way in front of their property. Each parcel and/or property owner is allowed one free tree per year. The street crew will determine the best location for the tree in the right-of-way. Once the tree is planted, the property owner is asked to water the tree per the directions provided. To have a tree planted, fill out a  Tree Application and mail back to Public Works at 320 W. Broadway, or by email to by March 15 for planting in the spring. Click here to view the Tree Planting Brochure.

If a resident wishes to plant their own tree in the right-of-way, a permit must first be obtained from the Public Works office. There is no charge for the permit, however, there is a limitation to the size and species of tree that can be planted in this area. For more information, please contact Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Tree Trimming
Each year the Street Department hires a contractor, through a bid process, to trim specified street trees in the rights-of-way throughout the City. If you notice any street trees that are in need of attention, please call Public Works at (989) 779-5401.

Bulk Water
The City of Mt. Pleasant’s bulk water fill station is designed for contractors who need to fill a large tank for projects, such as hydroseeding, well drilling, or landscaping.  The fill station is located at the Street Department, 1303 N. Franklin Avenue.  

  • Click Here to complete the application and pay online 

Staff List